04 April 2011

FUNDAY MONDAY

Favorite Things

Books I've recently read or am reading:

1.  Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
    Some people were turned off by the sometimes soapbox approach to her family's writing, but it didn't bother me.  I found it very educational and motivating to eat fresh seasonal produce.

2.  The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
     One of the first books I read concerning the food we eat.  Life changer for us.

3.  Food Rules by Michael Pollan
     Quick read and good follow up to the book above, especially if you are ready to make changes.

4.  Cradle To Cradle by William McDonough and Michael Braungart
     Not just about recycling, which is really a one time process.  A call for intelligent design that lends itself to continuous rebirth of the products we use.

5.  Swindled:  The Dark History of Food Fraud, from Poisoned Candy to Counterfeit Coffee by Bee Wilson
     My husband just downloaded this book for me.  I am not too far into it, but it's an interesting look at our culture of expectations regarding food, and how those in the industry met those expectations, to their profit and the general public's peril.

6.  Girls will be Girls:  Raising Confident and Courageous Daughters by Joann Deak and Teresa Barker
     I heard Dr. Deak give a presentation regarding the most recent research into the neurological development of girls vs boys.  With a bachelor's degree in psychology and a master's in occupational therapy, I am very interested in neurology.  But this book is well written with the average parent in mind.  It gives intelligent evidence supporting her claims, but it is written in very understandable and usable language.

I do read fiction also, but these books are what have influenced me as of late.  Maybe next time I'll share the books I read purely for their entertainment value.

No comments:

Post a Comment