06 December 2010

FUNDAY MONDAY

More Favorite Things - Tips and Tricks

I love getting little tidbits of wisdom to make my life easier.  Some I've learned from some very smart people, some from blogs I read, and some I just figure out.  Here are a few of my favorites:

1.  My favorite way to scrub a kitchen sink:  baking soda and a lemon.  Sprinkle baking soda in the sink, combine with a small amount of water.  Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice all over.  Use the lemon as a scrub brush.  Rinse.

2.  My favorite rag:  an old t-shirt.  I just cut off the sleeves and neck, cut up the seams, and then cut into whatever size I need.  There's nothing better for dusting or wiping out a sink because they don't leave any fuzz.

3.  My favorite way to store a paintbrush:  wrapped in saran wrap or a ziploc.  Whenever I do a painting project, it usually lasts several days.  Thanks to a tip from my grandmother, I don't have to wash the brush every time I quit for the day.  I just wrap it up, and it stays nice and moist, waiting for the next time.  I can't tell you how much more willing I am to paint when I only have to wash the brush once at the end.

4.  My favorite scrub brush:  old toothbrushes and dish scrubbers.  When they are no longer good for their original jobs, I just sanitize them and put a piece of duct tape around the handle, marking them as cleaning supplies.

5.  My newest favorite way to have a Christmas tree:  adopt one.  In a town near where we live, there is a tree farm where we pick out a tree.  They dig it up and put it in a pot with soil and fertilizer.  We take it home, enjoy it for the holidays, and take it back to the farm in early January.  They tag it and replant it.  Then we have the option next year of adopting the same tree.  Last year there was a 75% survival rate.  We'll see how ours does!

No comments:

Post a Comment