18 December 2010

Sometimes it comes back to bite you...

...and sometimes it doesn't.  I have mentioned before that I am a purger, but I recently posted about the few things that I keep around so I'm not caught without something important.

Well, today I had a close call.  I live in the Netherlands, right?  There is really no such thing as an all-in-one store anywhere close to me.  And I am still learning what stores sell what kinds of stuff.  So, today I went to print some very important papers, and I was out of ink.  In the states I would just run to Target and be back in half an hour.  But not here.  Not when I don't speak the language and don't have a clue what's going on most of the time.   Here, I would be driving all over town in person, getting in and out of the car with my ink cartridge in hand, asking in broken Dutch "Hebt u deze inkt?", which is about all I could figure out to say.

AND

my husband is still out of town.  So not only was I looking at running all over town trying to find a place that sells printer ink, I was going to do it with 3 kids.  They're great and all, but that's not how I wanted to spend my Saturday.

BUT

then, salvation.  In a small box labeled "electronics supplies",  that I forgot I had, were not one, but two spare ink cartridges.  It took 2 hours from the moment I realized I needed ink to the moment I found it in the closet, and those two hours were spent beating myself up for not being a keeper.

SO

the lesson learned?  Keep what you need to keep.  Think hard about that list.

And replace the spare as soon as you use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment