29 August 2011

FUNDAY MONDAY

Great Ideas:
Community Garden, Dutch Style

It's been a while since I've lived in the states, so maybe this is old news.  But even if it is, it's still a fantastic idea, and it's worth sharing.

A few months ago, a man rang our doorbell.  He worked at the village volunteer garden, and he was taking donations for summer flowers.  I handed him the only money I had, thinking the idea of a village flower garden was nice.  He then handed me a card with my address on it and told me that for my donation, I am entitled to come to the garden every saturday between August and October and choose flowers to take home.

We went to choose our flowers for the first time a couple weekends ago.  The field was full of brilliantly colored dahlias in all shapes and sizes.  Volunteers stood ready to cut the flowers we wanted.




Here is what we brought home:  















I can't wait to go again and get some more fresh cut flowers.

Is this not the kind of thing every community needs?  We gave a little and came away with so much more.

Reminds me of Stone Soup:  pool your resources and create something fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment