09 December 2011

Five Minute Friday: Color

Welcome back, Friday.  It seems like you just left.  I'm glad for you, though, because I need the rest of the weekend.  Of course, with several birthday parties, a Christmas tree to bring home, decorations to put up, and gifts to make, I am not sure how restful it will be.  At least the family will be together.

Anyway, on to Five Minute Friday, courtesy of


    1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
    2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
    3. Most importantly: leave a comment for the person who linked up before you – encouraging them in their writing!

GO.

In the cold colorless day the gray seeps into my soul.  I find myself letting it slow me down, slipping into hibernation for the long cold winter ahead.  I cling with the tips of my fingers to the final rays of sunlight, but even they deceive me, for the color is dull and is infused with cold.  No!  Summer, where did you go?  Where are the endless days with technicolor fun bouncing off every shiny surface?  You didn't come this year, not how I wanted.  You timidly made an appearance once or twice but then disappeared into the shadows once more.  And now I bitterly watch the wind sweep away the last of the color.

But, sleeping soul, remember the promise of spring.  Remember how the dark gray days become pierced with one tiny green shoot coming up from the ground?  Remember how it leads to another and another, and soon the whole world is vivid once more?

That vividness, that newness, would not speak to you, spirit of mine, if we didn't first rest in the subtlety of browns, grays, and blacks.  Those colors would appear to fade if they weren't dynamic like they are now.

STOP.

Can you tell I'm still coming to terms with winter?  It's not the rain; I love rainy days.  It's the endless drone of night, the planning that is involved with every step out the door.  No running out barefoot, no spontaneous days lazing in the grass.  I'm trying to be more openminded to the season of hibernation, but as you can see, it is taking a lot of effort on my part.

The great part about this link up is that the one word prompt inspires so much in so many.  Head on over to check it out, and link up your own COLOR story.

7 comments:

  1. "But, sleeping soul, remember the promise of spring." Love that! Those words are filled with so much hope. Oh, and I also love how colorful you made the word COLOR...nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to slip into grays and browns, isn't it? I am almost thankful for it just because our summer here in Texas was so harsh. I said almost... I miss the sun and the flowers and the vivid blue sky. Glad that I can put colors in my house to cheer me as I wait for the outside to wake up from its sleep. Hoping the hibernation goes quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the honesty hear. The reality of how our selves can be as gray as the sky with sorrow, and the glorious, colorful hope we have in vibrant life. Thank you for sharing. This is my first visit at your place. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a summer girl, and here I ended up in the Netherlands, where summer barely exists. In the past, I needed the summer to get through the winter. No such luck this year. Fingers crossed I stay sane...

    Pinks-thanks for visiting! Glad you found me and took the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracey, I too am a summer girl and this is feeling like a long winter already, whereas it's barely started! However, the previous summers here have been long and gloriously hot, sometimes too hot - I hope that give you a bit of hope! For my view on colour, have a look here: http://upsidedownmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/color-or-colour.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. clicked over after reading on Sorta Crunchy that you live in the Netherlands! my parents just returned stateside after 23 years in Amsterdam and Haarlem. i lived in NL when i was a teenager, went to dutch high schools, and have a dutch sister in law! look forward to continued reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, welcome! What a small world...I live near Eindhoven. We are enjoying our time here very much. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete