09 September 2011

FIVE MINUTE FRIDAY - THIS IS REAL LIFE

Friday!  Woot woot!  Hurray for all things weekend.  Time for another Five Minute Friday, courtesy of Gypsy Mama.  Five minutes of writing from the heart, not the head.

Today's topic:  In Real Life.

GO

In my dreams everything is under control.  In my fantasies my home and family are picture perfect.  Even when speaking out loud, everything fits into the neat compartments that are my life.

In real life, I wish it were so, but it's not.  In real life toddlers color on my ottoman with a ball point pen.  In real life my husband's 3 day business trip turns into 5, and I'm left telling the kiddos that daddy isn't coming home today after all.  In real life I only understand about 20% of what people say to me, because I live in a country whose native language is Dutch, not English.  In real life I sometimes get a glimpse of what it's like to be illiterate, because I also don't read Dutch very well.

But in real life laughter peels through all three floors of our home.  In real life my husband hurries back from his delayed business trip, bursts through the door, hugs me and kisses the kids, and says, "it's good to be home.  This is where I want to be."  In real life, we have an adventure every time we step out of our door, and it's usually a great one.  Or at least a good story to share later.

In real life, we are making real memories.  Real life is messy. Real life doesn't fit into neat compartments.  But a good story doesn't either, and in real life, we're writing our real story.

STOP


I hope your real life is writing a great story, one that you will tell for years to come.  Be sure to check out others' posts at Gypsy Mama - it's fun to see the diverse writing that happens when you write from your soul.  I'm #23, and I'm sure there will be more to come.  I enjoyed the blog before mine, Strawberry Roan.  She makes an excellent case for real life being better than fiction.

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Inspiring as always...and in real life, is it ever sunny anymore? ;-) Ballpoint pen, ottoman? Uh-oh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "in real life, we're writing our real story". yes, and that's what it's all about, isn't it? thanks for sharing. i'm inspired when i read about people living in other countries, not speaking the language. . . your challenges are compounded, i think. it is good to see it as an adventure!
    blessings,
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure you are on, living overseas, and learning to speak their language... I loved this. We are all living our stories, aren't we?! ;) Bless you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jen - yes, ball point pen. At least it's an Ikea chair and I can replace the cushion. Love that troublemaker.
    @HopeUnbroken - thanks! Most of the time, it is an adventure. When it's not, like I said, it's still a good story. Thanks for your words.
    @Kris - we just have to wake up each morning remembering we're writing another page...thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your real life sounds like a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, we are writing our story. Have you read that Donald Miller book? A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. Wait, I think that's the title. Anyway, it's about writing your story. It's been on my to do list forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Amy - so does yours, friend.
    @Amy Sullivan - I have read that book, and I am a big fan. I have been ever since Blue Like Jazz. It's worth the read.

    ReplyDelete