06 February 2012

Funday Monday: Cereal!

I'll admit it: I can't get my kids off cereal. Well, let me amend that. I haven't gotten my kids off cereal.


I know, I know. In the world of terrible processed food, it ranks near the top in terms of nutritionally worthless, loaded with corn product and sugar "foods".

In my defense, I only buy cereals without HFCS and with under 10g of sugar per serving. Oh, and that are on sale. Cereal is wicked expensive. These criteria limit my choices considerably, but hey, either they take it or leave it.

Moving on, *AHEM*, one day I decided to try my  hand at making my own.

Guess what? It is not that difficult! I can't say I've replaced all our store bought cereal yet, but at least I'm taking steps in the right direction, right? Right?


The recipe I used comes from this great book


and uses only these ingredients:
  • white or wheat flour
  • coconut
  • oats
  • sesame seeds
  • water
  • sugar
  • oil



This online recipe is very similar.

And this one too.

Basically you mix the stuff and bake it. Some recipes want you to stir it while it is baking, like granola. Others just require you to break it up after you pull it out. All of these recipes are quite forgiving and are easily adjustable if you cannot tolerate certain ingredients or want to use alternative sweeteners. For instance, we primarily use honey or maple syrup as sweeteners, and oil is almost always coconut oil. This week I'll be trying a primal friendly recipe that uses no grains.

I'll let you know how that turns out.


Done and done. Only good wholesome ingredients for a quick kid friendly breakfast.





Kelly the Kitchen Kop











3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the topic of kids eating cereal. The labor involved with not having cereal is too much for dh and me as parents. Thank you for joining the Frugal Tuesday Tip. http://juliecache.com/2012/02/06/learning-from-the-frugal-tuesday-tip/.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just switched to paleo/primal...I make eggs for everyone in the morning before school...It took about a week to get used to, but eggs don't take much longer than getting all the bowls and such out. We have 4 that eat eggs with cheese and maybe veggies with a piece of fruit, and our youngest has a med issue so no dairy or eggs for her, but I make her grain/dairy/egg free pancakes per a recipe I found and she loves them. I love the recipe because I can leave a bit of the almond/coconut milk out and make biscuits in the oven on parchment paper too. We did have complaints for a little bit, but once I got rid of the stuff like cereal/crackers ect it wasn't too long before they asked for what we did have instead of what they used to eat {;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://pinterest.com/pin/8233211788517423/

    here's the pancake recipe...we leave out the lemon and zest and it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete