25 January 2012

Challenge Wednesday #18 - Whatcha Readin'?

Today's guest post is from Jen @ A Drop in the Bucket:
**********************************************************
So, last week Tracey asked me the following question: What are you reading right now, how do you like it, and do you have any reading recommendations for us?


Well...here is the issue.  I had just started reading a book when Tracey asked me the question.  I have been so bad about reading lately!  Too many other shiny things, I guess.  What I am reading right now is this: 



I've never read any of Maya Angelou's pieces, but I am excited to start.  Any suggestions for which one I should read next?

But, Tracey also asked if I have any recommendations.  And that, I do.  Two of my all time favorite books aren't actually fiction...

One is pretty famous at this point, but if you haven't read it, think about doing that.  Once I read this book back in 2008, life has never been the same for me.  And I return to it now and again for a reminder.



The other is a bit lesser known, but the suggestions for how to be truly happy have truly made an impact on my life.  As I am reminded of it, I think I am going to have to go read it a bit, I might be needing a little picker upper with all of the foods and drinks I am not having now that I am taking part in our Game On contest.   Seriously, check it out.  Some of the quotes included are worth the read.



I know that I am not giving these an intensive write up, but trust me.  They can speak for themselves.  

Because really, who wouldn't want a Happiness Makeover and find out what the Secret to the universe is?  

And now Tracey...its your turn.  Tell me what your favorite fictional book of all time is and why.  Because that will be my next read.  
*************************************************************

Jen, this is very interesting to me.  I might ask you to expand on your quest for happiness in the near future, just a heads up!

I have a little different take on "the secret to happiness." While I am not opposed to self-help books in general, I do think the answer is often simpler than we make it. I'd like to add my own book.  It is the greatest love story of all time, and a pretty good self-help book too.

I am not one of those fundamentalist Christians full of judgement and thou shalt nots. I believe we all want to be loved, truly loved, and happiness comes from this sense of worth. And sometimes we let all that judgement keep us prickly when someone mentions, you know, Jesus or God. And sometimes we ignore or choose not to believe or forget that we are invaluable to Someone Greater Than Ourselves.

Thanks for the post, and the challenge, Jen. I'll have to think about my favorite work of fiction...I love so many books, it will be hard to decide.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the good recommendations. I want to check out the Happiness Makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, glad you like them. Be sure to click through my Amazon link...a portion of the proceeds help keep blogs like these going.

    ReplyDelete