16 January 2012

Funday Monday: FruMo

So, we started this Frugal Living challenge this month, and I wanted to update everyone on how we are doing.

First of all, Husband decided it needed to have a name, in case we do this challenge again (we hope to implement it a couple times a year).  We put our heads together and came up with...brace yourselves...

FruMo.


As in, FrugalMonth.  Brilliant, I know.  Shield your eyes from the awesomeness that is our creativity at work.  Feel free to cue the Apple "TaDa" startup music whenever you read or say it out loud.  As if that is going to be added to your daily vocabulary.  It's late.  Someone stop me!  Oh wait, I'm sitting here alone.  You'll just have to put up with me.

What are we doing?
Our goal is to find $800 extra this month, in addition to our regular monthly savings.
Source: pinterest.com via Jon on Pinterest


We budgeted 30 euros per week for perishables and committed to eating from our pantry and freezer.  We have decided that we will not eat out at all, and we'll review every purchase and decide together if it is necessary.  We each donated half our "allowance" to the cause, so we do have a little bit of play money, but not much.
Source: google.com via Sara on Pinterest


We will stash the cash into our emergency fund to beef it up a little for some major life change happening in the next couple of years.

As I am writing this I realized I've committed ourselves to a lot of challenges this month (see this post).  Wow.  Actually, though, I'm finding I'm able to double dip a little, so that's a bonus I hadn't intended.  I'll explain more.

Because we committed to eating from our pantry, we don't have any junky food to snack on.  Which will help us with our Game ON! challenge that is coming up soon.  Turns out we are setting ourselves up for success for both challenges.


Next week we'll take a look at how it is going.  If the positive trend continues, we have a good shot at meeting our goal.







2 comments: