13 January 2012

Five MINUTE FRIDAY: Awake

Here's the drill:  Five Minute Friday, courtesy of The Gypsy Mama.
The rules:
For only five short, bold, beautiful minutes. Unscripted and unedited. We just writewithout worrying if it’s just right or not.
Won’t you join us?
    1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
    2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
    3. Most important: comment and encourage the person who linked up before you.



The Topic? Awake.

GO:

Sometimes I lie awake in bed when I know I should be sleeping but I can't because all these thoughts just swirl and swirl and run one right into the other and then I think I really need to keep a pad of paper and pen next to my bed so I can just let them out but I don't and I just lie there not being able to sleep because of all the thoughts the to-dos and ideas that I know I won't remember come morning and the gasps because I forgot to do something like buy plane tickets and then the next day they will be 60 euros more expensive and I just wonder if everyone struggles with this same thing and how exactly am I supposed to change it when part of my job is to remember all this stuff and do all this stuff and follow through with all these ideas and take care of the kids and work and home and on and on.  And then eventually I fall back asleep and forget everything in the morning.


Sometimes I stand in the shower letting the hot water run over me.  I know I am supposed to be hurrying because there are other things that need to be done.  But I stand there.  And even though I am awake I am asleep.  And even though I am wasting water I stand there and let myself be not awake.  And even though there are other things to do I watch my hands turn pruny.

Sometimes I read books to the kids in the evening and just a minute ago I was awake but then I sat down and suddenly I have trouble pronouncing the words because I Am So Tired. I fight it but I am nearly...nearly...nearly asleep.  While I Am Reading To My Children.  How does that even happen?

STOP.

Want to play along?  If you decide to join, leave me a comment so I can read what you have to say about AWAKE.




3 comments:

  1. Love the run on sentence- it so perfectly captures that feeling of way too much to do/think about! We moved this year and it was a delight to step back from nearly all outside responsibilities. Now I am slowly building those things back into my life. I hope that you get a chance to do that- to step back and have the opportunity to be deliberate! Thanks for the great post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha! love it. that is my thought process many nights too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following my blog. It seems such a strange thing to have "followers" doesn't it? But I love the connections that would not happen otherwise. So... thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete