27 January 2012

Five Minute Friday: Tender


Get your thinking caps on...it's time for Five Minute Friday with The Gypsy Mama.
We just write without worrying if it’s just write or not.
Won’t you join us?
    1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
    2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
    3. Go a little overboard encouraging the writer who linked up before you.
OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes on:
::

Tender…

GO:
The tears that spring into his eyes because he accidentally squashed the bug that he was trying to rescue. The excited voices as they tell me their latest plans for the animals they will keep on their farm. The tiny arms that circle my neck as she says,"I love you soo much, mama."
It's a part of them, it is a gift that is given to the smallest of us, to the most naive of us, and it is fleeting.
Tenderness.
Soon to be replaced by callousness after learning that not everyone wins. That not everyone is nice. That not everything is full of sunshine in their lives.
It can return, in pieces.
When I hold her in my arms for the very first time. When he falls asleep next to me holding his teddy bear. When I read a story I've written here so I'll never forget. I find it again. I find that tender place in my heart.
Under the doubt and skepticism. Behind the harsh words the world has taught me.
And then I remember the time when I too had tenderness more often than bitterness.
And I want to lock them in a closet to shield them from losing it. 
But instead I hold them close and [pray they will find it again one day as well.]
STOP.

Do you also remember the tenderness you once had? Do you find it in your children? Please, go write it down! None of us is perfect. Not one. But here we try to lay out what is on our hearts. Read the stories of others. Share your own story.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post about the tenderness of childhood. Thanks for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful post. I too would like to "find that tender place in my heart", in all things, Tracey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Brings a smile to my heart!
    Thank you,
    Felecia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Tracey, love it. Love the tenderness of your kiddos too.

    ReplyDelete